The Juggling Act of Part Time Working

It has been nearly 18 months  since I went back to work after having my little boy, Little Man and also since Little Man started nursery. I had read all of the articles about separation anxiety, making the transition as smooth as possible, etc but nothing could prepare me for the morning when I dropped Little Man off. In we went, me checking the changing bag for the 100th time to make sure I’d not forgotten his bottles and him looking at this big exciting building eyes wide. I handed him over and then…he crawled off. Yes, he crawled off. Didn’t look back for the Mummy who had looked after his every need from the day he was born, not one look back or cry. I sat in my car outside not sure how to feel, I was deliriously happy that my confident little 10 month old had crawled into nursery not scared of what lay ahead, yet I was distraught that he didn’t even care I had left him.
IMAG0024

Many months on and my little Little Man is more confident than ever happily (now) walking into nursery he goes to his favourite nursery nurse for a morning cuddle and settles down for his breakfast. I rush out of there, a swift kiss and bye and put my foot down on the M5 to make sure I get to work on time. I relish the adult conversation, the half an hour lunch break which is actually a break and come 4pm I race back down the M5 to find my little boy bright eyed and happy to see me.

IMAG0027

SDC10856

I work 3 days a week and am home with Little Man the other two. I enjoy both parts of my week just as much and I think Little Man would agree. We have a lovely time spending quality time together but he obviously loves being with his little friends and his independence and I enjoy my ‘Rachel time’.
However, I still find myself juggling like a failing circus clown. I never seem to be catching all the balls and I never seem to have the time to make my house look reasonable, get all the washing done in time or live an organised life. My husband works away 4 days of the week and although this has always been the case it is difficult for everything to be on me. The childcare is just down to me. The bed time routine is down to me even when I am so tired I can barely face getting soaked at bath time. Even the tidying up after Little Man has gone to bed is down to me. The bag packing for the next day, meal times, being on call for when Little Man is poorly at nursery, the list goes on. The question is, do I mind? Not one little bit. I work hard as a Mummy, Wife and put my all into my job but some days one of those balls is dropped and I don’t always feel I have done the best job, be it stimulating activities for Little Man or checking every child’s reading level at work. Will it get easier? Probably not. But I will keep pushing on and bow down to every working Mummy out there, especially the ones who work full time and have more than one child (seriously I don’t have a clue how you do it!) and all the stay at home Mummys who manage to get everything done and look after the kids!
Those 3 balls are still being juggled and I love every frantic busy moment of it. Who said you can’t have the best of both worlds?
The Little Life of Ickle Pickle

• Aby Moore
    31/01/2015 at 22:00

Wow I can’t imagine having to solo parent for 4 days every week, it must be really difficult for you. I am glad you enjoy your time at work. x

31/01/2015 at 22:08

It is hard sometimes but worth it when Daddy walks through the door and Sams face lights up. Thank you for commenting 🙂

• Laura Green
    24/02/2015 at 14:35

What a lovely positive attitude – I can so relate to this, it’s such a juggling act (and I have a hubby at home so no room for complaint!) but plodding along doing our best is much more enjoyable with a positive attitude like yours! #twinklytuesday

24/02/2015 at 19:02

Aw thank you. It’s how I get through it 🙂 xx

• Sabrina
    24/02/2015 at 21:27

I can so relate with you. I work 3 days too so I can have 2 fun days with my boy when everyone else is at school/work. And the half hour lunch break – yes, more like just a break! Still it’s so worth it xx

25/02/2015 at 12:27

It’s lovely to have the time at home isn’t it but the lunch break is nice 😉 Thanks for commenting. x

• Lisa (mummascribbles)
    26/02/2015 at 13:32

You have my absolute ideal scenario (except the hubby working away!). I work full time but would just love to have those two days at home that I used to have! It’s not easy juggling all these balls but we just have to get on with it don’t we?! Thanks for linking up with #twinklytuesday

26/02/2015 at 19:16

I do feel very lucky to be able to do both. Yes just keep going, hehe. Thanks for commenting.

• Natasha Mairs
    05/05/2015 at 10:17

I know how you feel. I’m looking forward to September when all my kids will be at school full time, giving me time to concentrate on my work #Favouritepost
    Natasha Mairs recently posted…Helping Kids Tell the Time with a Madame Irma WatchMy Profile

07/05/2015 at 19:26

• Lucy Dorrington
    06/05/2015 at 10:56

I remember those same feelings when I used to drop mine off, but I often used to think I would probably find it even harder to leave her if she was upset! I guess we can’t win, it will always be hard!
    Lucy Dorrington recently posted…Remedies for the Common ColdMy Profile

07/05/2015 at 19:23

Yes it is definitely harder when he is upset when I leave!! x

• Ickle Pickle
    06/05/2015 at 19:31

I am a single mum of four, juggling so much too. You’re doing a great job! Thanks for linking up to #MyFavouritePost x
    Ickle Pickle recently posted…Mummys Going to Britmums Live!My Profile

07/05/2015 at 19:21

Thank you, don’t know how you do it! xx

• Zena's Suitcase
    14/05/2015 at 21:52

Don’t worry about being a perfect juggler, as they really don’t exist. It sounds to me like you are a very good one though and should give yourself a huge pat on the back for what you’re achieving and stop worrying about the small parts that aren’t quite perfect. Thanks for linking up with #myfavouritepost
    Zena’s Suitcase recently posted…The First Swimming LessonMy Profile

16/05/2015 at 14:17

Oh thank you, what a lovely comment 🙂 xx