Starting from Scratch – Chocolate Cornflake Cakes

If you asked my family and friends to list my strengths I guarantee that baking will not be in that list. My Mom used to bake every Sunday when I lived at home, I used to love the smell of the house on a Sunday. She would make an apple pie to have after the roast that day and then a yummy cake for Dad & I to take in our lunchboxes to school and work in the week. I really wanted to be able to bake like my Mum but I’m afraid it hasn’t come naturally to me. Still, practice makes perfect and for the last couple of Sundays I have been trying to bake with Little Man. The first week was a disaster, cookie mix everywhere and no cookies at the end of it! This Sunday was a little more successful with yummy treats at the end of our baking adventure. I have to admit something though, I didn’t actually bake – nothing went near an oven. We made chocolate cornflake cakes and Little Man loved it as did G & I as they reminded us of school dinners – yum.

P1040225

P1040223

I won’tย share a specific recipie with you as there are many many online and I don’t think you even need a recipe for these. Well only people like me do anyway. But we basically melted a load of chocolate, butter and honey, mixed it into some cornflakes and put them in the fridge. Job done.

20150215_153115

I have to say although this is an incredibly simple recipe, it is great for toddlers. Little Man loved mixing it all together and a particular highlight was licking the spoon of course. Maybe we’ll progress to fairy cakesย next week, watch out kitchen surfaces!!

BakedPotato Mummy

I must apologise for the not so great photos, this was all done in a bit of rush in the end. I have not learnt about preparation yet it seems.

1. February 19, 2015 / 11:00 am

Ah these are a favourite in our house, children love chocolate cornflakes don’t they ๐Ÿ™‚

• February 19, 2015 / 6:44 pm

Oh yes, my child certainly does!! Thanks for commenting. ๐Ÿ™‚

• February 19, 2015 / 6:43 pm

We have to make more now as I have a lot of cornflakes left ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thanks for commenting.

2. February 19, 2015 / 3:03 pm

Used to make these at school for the kids, it was an odd recipe though with treacle in it and really sticky and messy. They loved them, I thought they were well sickly! Yours look a lot nicer ๐Ÿ™‚

• February 19, 2015 / 6:42 pm

Aw thanks, these were a little sickly to be honest, less honey next time! Thanks for commenting. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. February 21, 2015 / 1:49 am

Mmm they look so good! I never think to add honey and butter to the melted chocolate. Will have to try that next time!

4. February 22, 2015 / 11:12 pm

I know cornflake cakes are supposed to be for children but I love them (I’ve even been known to buy one in Costa with my cappuccino!).

It looks like you had a lot of fun.

My boys were making cupcakes at the weekend and I put the recipe on my blog if you’re thinking of making some.

• February 23, 2015 / 9:33 am

Oh great I’ll go and have a look. Yes I love them too especially the boxes of them in Sainsburys ๐Ÿ˜‰

5. February 25, 2015 / 8:43 pm

One of our favourite no-bake bakes, is Marshmallow Crispies. It uses rice crispies, marshmallows, toffees and butter and is delicious! (the full recipe and instructions in on my blog). Perfect for toddlers.
    I’m really glad Sam enjoyed it. I’m looking forward to reading about how you got on with your next adventure ๐Ÿ™‚
    Thanks for linking up with #LittleChefs

• February 26, 2015 / 7:16 pm

Ohh I shall head over and have a look, they sound delicious! Thanks for commenting.