Mummy Fail…or so I thought

I saw a quote on the Mothercare Instagram and it went like this ‘There will be so many times you feel like you’ve failed, but in the eyes, heart and mind of your child, you are a supermum’ (Stephanie Precourt). Well I have to say thanks, Stephanie. That was what I needed to read today.

This morning I woke up to blue skies and beautiful sunshine and I thought to myself that I wouldn’t be a boring mum today (I often have lots of jobs to do on a Tuesday before my working week starts the following day). I packed us a bag and set off for Woodgate Valley Country Park, only a 20 minute drive away. I invited my Dad along to have some quality time with Little Man and excitedly chatted to Little Man in the car about going to the farm. We talked about what we would see there; cows, pigs, chickens and although Little Man was convinced he would see a hippo at the urban farm I was happy to be out and doing something fun in the sun with my boy. We met my Dad in the car park and walked down the track to the farm.

Closed till 1st April.

What?!?!?!?!

I had checked the website before we had left for opening times and there was no mention of the farm area of the park being shut. Little Man’s face was not a happy sight. In a desperate attempt I tried to lift him up to see the pigs over the fence but he could see nothing. I felt like a rubbish mum. The sunshine was rapidly going and my Dad informed me wintery showers were forecast. Great. My perfect mummy morning was failing. I was gutted. We took Little Man for a walk around the park but there was nothing to see so I wearily suggested we find the playground which I assumed would be pretty much like every other playground we have visited. Little Man did not care one bit. He bounded over to the playground, got stuck in and had a great time due to the tunnel and tunnel slide. Thank you playground designers, you saved me.

20150324_103745

It started to snow. Of course it did, why wouldn’t it snow in March?!

We went to find shelter in the tea room and Little Man again was overjoyed with a gingerbread man and a Fruit Shoot. We drove home and I popped into the corner shop to get him a Toy Story magazine to make up for the lack of farm. As we got home, I asked Little Man if he had had a nice time (I was feeling pretty rubbish by this time) and he said ‘yes mummy, I had a lovely time’. My mummy heart burst! Number one, I have never heard him say anything like that so it was super cute. But more importantly number two, he really meant it. No we didn’t get to see the pigs, cows and chickens and we most certainly didn’t see a hippo but he had had a morning with his mummy and grandad running around in the fresh air and eating sugary treats. In toddler world that’s awesome!

20150324_103814(0)

So the quote is right, it doesn’t matter what we do with our kids or however big or small their experience is. They love it, they appreciate it and more importantly they love us.

Happy tuesday everyone.

1. March 24, 2015 / 5:04 pm

Great post. My kiddos are adults and times that I have thought I had failed I had not.

• April 1, 2015 / 2:30 pm

He was actually DJing: pushnig the different musical buttons on the bunny (yes, I do call him Jive Bunny ) for Ellie to dance to, then copying her moves! And I had to join in of course; it was way too much fun not too

2. March 24, 2015 / 8:09 pm

Im sorry your day didn’t go as planned but how lovely that your boy still had a wonderful time. I often find when I make big plans with Oliver we never have as much fun as when we do stuff on a whim.
    Happy Tuesday to you too 🙂
    Becky x

• March 25, 2015 / 7:00 pm

Yes totally agree, much better sometimes when it’s not so planned!

3. March 24, 2015 / 9:19 pm

Great post! Sounds like he got over it quickly and loved his day out! Bet you were gutted though…weird that they couldn’t open before April! I’ve recently written a post about my top 10 mummy fails so glad it’s not just me lol

• March 25, 2015 / 7:00 pm

Oo I will pop over and have a look. Glad to know I am not the only one hehe x

4. March 26, 2015 / 11:19 am

Aw lovely there is nothing worse than feeling you have let them down, as you read on my blog the other day when I missed my sons assembly arghh…just about forgiven myself! So glad he had a lovely day in the end though, and it sounds like he didn’t care where he was so long as he was doing something with you, which is lovely 🙂

Stevie xx
    A Cornish Mum recently posted…NewquayMy Profile

• March 26, 2015 / 1:17 pm

It’s so difficult sometimes isn’t it?! Thank you, he did have a lovely time and I’m glad you have forgiven yourself now too 🙂 xx

• March 27, 2015 / 8:54 am

Yay you commented!!! Yes from now on I will be winging it 🙂

5. March 27, 2015 / 10:15 pm

Completely true! This happened to be once with a farm too and we just ended up going for a walk with a friend and her bubby we were meeting and he ran loose for ages having the best time! Sometimes the simplest things are the most amazing to a toddler!! Thanks so much for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday
    Lisa (mummascribbles) recently posted…This morning there was an explosion…My Profile

• March 28, 2015 / 7:46 pm

Yes, I think it’s easy to forget that most things are a new experience to them!