Baby Names – How did you choose yours?

When Little Manuel was still in my tummy, before we knew his gender he was going to be either a Heidi or a Noah. For a long time, they were definites. Then when we found out he was a boy we decided it was a no to Noah. The main reason was because we had heard of a lot of Noah’s being born recently. When I was at school my name, Rachel was really popular. There were so many Rachel’s in my year group and I was always Rachel B, not just Rachel. So after reading a lot of baby name books and coming to the conclusion that we would like a name we could shorten we decided on Little Manuel.

P1030115

Emma’s Diary have developed a tool to help with this; I know this is just what I needed when I was pregnant. With their Baby Name Trends tool you can find out how popular the name you have chosen is currently, how popular it was in the past and whether it will become a popular name in the future. Very useful!

ED1

All you have to do to use it is click here and then type your chosen names into the boxes. You can check one name in particular or you can compare up to three names.

ED2 As you can see when I typed in Little Manuel it had been popular a few years before he was born but was then on the decline.

ED3As you can tell from this graph my name was very popular in 1985 when I was born!! As for G’s name – never been very popular so he is only one in a few!

I found choosing a name for Little Man really difficult. A name is something you give them for life and I would hate for him to grow up not liking his name, so tools like this one are great. You can also find ideas for baby names to get you started or see the most popular for the year on the Emma’s Diary website. Pop over and have a play, see what you think. I would love to hear how you chose your babies names.

This post was written in partnership with Emma’s Diary. All opinions are 100% my own.

1. April 21, 2015 / 12:44 pm

Wow what a useful tool for choosing a baby name…we had such a hard time deciding on Leo’s name. So many names were thrown about me&hubby can’t remember when we thought of Leo! Nice post 🙂 #TwinklyTuesday

2. April 21, 2015 / 1:58 pm

What a great idea! #TwinklyTuesday.

3. April 23, 2015 / 4:50 pm

Samuel is a beautiful name. 😀
    I have a Zacharias and a Henry. 🙂 Both decided before they were born, but I didn’t know the sex of our last one, Henry, but it was the boy name we decided on. Always loved it. hehe

#TwinklyTuesday
    ERFmama recently posted…WIN a ‘BeSafe Kick Cover’! #giveawayMy Profile

• April 24, 2015 / 7:29 pm

Thank you. Zacharias and Henry are gorgeous names too. Thanks for stopping by xx

4. April 26, 2015 / 4:56 pm

What a wonderful tool. We live in the US, so I wonder how well the popularity statistics map to this side of the Atlantic. We knew at 7 weeks that we were having identical twins, so we needed to hunt for pairs of boy names and pairs of girl names! Fortunately, we ended up with girls. We never did manage to find a second middle name for a boy! We went with Melody and Jessica. The names had to be non-matchy, easily pronounced in English, Spanish, and Bengali, and work with our last name. It’s tough picking names!

Thanks for linking up at #twinklytuesday.
    Sadia recently posted…HDYDI Parenting Link Up is Now Twinkly Tuesday!My Profile

5. October 13, 2015 / 9:14 am

Will remember this post for baby no. 2. No. 1 arrived a month early after very short labour, we had only chosen a boy’s middle name (none for a girl!) Thank goodness we had a boy & just went with the middle name we’d picked, then it took us 2 more months to settle on a new middle name! I’ll be more prepared next time, haha!
    Robyn recently posted…50 POSTS IN 50 DAYS – HOORAY!My Profile

• October 17, 2015 / 7:29 pm

Hehe it’s so tough thinking of one that will last them their whole lives! xx