A Note From Grandad

I don’t normally post on a Tuesday (I do love my routine!) but I have something so lovely to share with you. My Dad is a wonderful writer, I think it is from him that I get my love of writing. He never shares it other than with his nearest and dearest; a wasted talent I think. Anyway, he knows very little about my blogging life as I think he is unsure of the whole concept. However, yesterday he flippantly offered to write something about being a grandparent, I agreed not thinking he would actually send me anything. Yet sure enough a little email has just come through from him and I wanted to share it with you. It is only a few sentences but I think it shows how being a grandparent feels for our parents.

It can be tough being a Grandad.

Demoted to the sidelines, never quite sure if your latest suggestion is a help or hindrance, wondering if that last verbal reprimand was a little too severe.

Change your traditional outlook to discipline and send them to the corner, of little use if you live in a lighthouse, but then I suppose you have the choice of 150 naughty steps.

Trying to hide your surprise when told they’ve been given a tablet to play with.

Embarrassed by their grasp of technology and your inability to understand the basics.

Simple pleasure can still be found in activities, games and story telling handed down through generations.

As with everything there should be balance, the old with the new, working together to provide experience and opportunity for the continuous growth of a young life.

Grandad’s reward, watching two branches of his tree grow and flourish with the certainty that the future is well supported by the past.

It can be tough being a Grandad but not as tough as being a parent AND WE KNOW!

I hope you enjoyed this little glimpse into my Dad’s mind. Made me cry happy tears on a day that has not been easy.

I know my Dad would love to know if there has been some comments even though I am pretty sure he has never seen this site!! So I would love to hear your thoughts on this!

Have a lovely day!

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

• May 12, 2015 / 2:44 pm

Thank you, this is why I blog to keep special things like this 🙂 xx

1. May 12, 2015 / 2:35 pm

Oh this is such a lovely post. My favourite post I have read today. So heart warming. I sniked while reading it. He sounds like an awesome Grandad and an amazing Dad and he really has a way with words. I hope you gave him a massive hug after that 😉

#twinklytuesday

2. May 12, 2015 / 2:35 pm

This is lovely and so like my own father who jokes my 2 year old taught him how to use his Iphone!!My children do love to be “plugged in” so to speak yet love nothing better than Grandad chasing them round with silly voices and plating hide and seek with him.Much love to all Grandad’s out there doing an amazing job x
    Pickinguptoys recently posted…Day out at Tredegar House NewportMy Profile

• May 12, 2015 / 2:43 pm

Hehe yes I think Sam has taught my Dad how to use his tablet!! They have such a lovely bond xx

3. Adrian
    May 12, 2015 / 5:34 pm

Good to hear from the older generation. Although I’m already older than most parents i know! I wonder how many grandparents blog? Must be a few? And how many of us will keep blogging into our golden years!

• May 13, 2015 / 9:27 am

I am trying to persuade him to start his own Grandad blog 😉 x

4. May 12, 2015 / 8:22 pm

Your grandfather is an amazing writer! I really enjoyed reading his point of view. My favorite part was when he said that simple games and stories from past generations are still pleasurable. It’s absolutely true! I think those are the best things that grandparents have to offer (other than their endless love)! #twinklytuesdays

• May 13, 2015 / 9:28 am

Thank you. Yes, my parents had Sam making a castle out of a cardboard box the other day, he had a great time! xx

5. May 16, 2015 / 8:16 pm

Aww what a lovely thing to feature, so glad he wrote if for you. We get so many mummy and daddy outlooks through all f these blogs, But not many grandparents. A lovely thing that you can keep forever 🙂 Thanks so much for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday
    Lisa (mummascribbles) recently posted…The rollercoaster of a toddler meltdownMy Profile