Parenting Hack #1 – Cbeebies

Parenting Hacks

Welcome to my series based around parenting hacks. I love a good parenting hack, not because I am lazy or because I can’t be bothered to do activities with Little Man. I love them because sometimes things need doing and sometimes my toddler ‘helping’ me is not at all useful.

My first parenting hack post is all about Cbeebies and why I am a fan. I know, I know if we put our toddlers in front of the screen too much, their eyes will turn square – I think Little Man would quite suit square eyes but that’s not the point. We are told constantly that we are bad parents if we put our toddlers in front of the TV too much but oh media people sometimes it is the only way to get a job done.

I don’t put Little Man in front of Breaking Bad, I put him in front of Bing so he learns to be a good human being (in a world where your carers are smaller than you!) or Everything’s Rosie (where the trees talk) or Balamory (where Policeman sing, things are invented from egg boxes and life is bloody good). If I am going to put him in front of anything, I am glad that I put him in front of presenters that sing about what they are going to have for their lunch today in an oddly enticing musical rendition.

20150426_160119

So here are the top Cbeebies shows that help things function in our family.

Tree Fu Tom stops any tantrum immediately – I don’t know why but that crazy lad stops my boy in his tracks  even within a full blown tantrum. A bit of spinning round, touching the sky and making magic makes Little Man’s day.

Twirly Woos means I can have a shower – Little Man has got into the habit of getting up at a rather ungodly hour and sometimes I am not yet showered. I have absolutely no bloody idea what Twirly Woos is about. Little Man however, gets it and loves it. He will happily sit on my bed and watch an episode of it whilst I have the worlds quickest shower.

Mike the Knight keeps Little Man happy on long journeys – Mike the Knight he’s a brave young hero. Yes, yes he is. He’s my hero. We have a TV in G’s car and Little Man will quite happily watch episode after episode on a long journey. Thanks Mike, you have also taught my boy how to be insanely polite and to love dragons and trolls.

In the Night Garden tells him it’s bedtime – I have iPlayer to thank for this. Little Man sometimes goes to bed quite early because of that time he wakes up at so I can now trick him and put it on early so he know’s it’s bedtime. Don’t judge me, it has been a long day by then!

Do you have a certain TV show that helps with calming your toddler?

Look out for more parenting hacks coming soon!

Have a lovely day.

Mums' Days

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

• Zara - Mojo Blogs
    01/05/2015 at 11:21

Hahaha! When I had just the one In The Night Garden was like her nod to begin to get sleepy. Now I have three it still works! The tinkly tune makes them all stop what they are doing and begin to wind down. I have to say though, Mike The Knight can do one! I think Cbeebies has helped out many a mum in a time of showering needs.
    Zara – Mojo Blogs recently posted…What I really want for my children isn’t what I give themMy Profile

01/05/2015 at 20:55

Oh it’s amazing isn’t it?! Ahh Mike the Knight is ok in small doses 😉 xx

• Kim Carberry
    01/05/2015 at 21:35

My girls have just about grown out of Cbeebies apart from Topsy & Tim & Gigglebiz but ahh the memories…The Night Garden was always used to let my girls know it was time for bed too….hehehe
    Kim Carberry recently posted…Making mountains out of molehills…. #WotWMy Profile

02/05/2015 at 07:45

Hehe! It has saved me a lot! Sam loves Topsy & Tim too! xx

• Anna busby
    02/05/2015 at 09:45

Cbeebies has saved us in alot of these situations thank andy cerrie katy and alex for tree fu tom mr bloom and iggle piggle !! great post… #thelist

02/05/2015 at 17:50

Haha yes us too! x

• Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love)
    03/05/2015 at 16:00

My little ones are big CBeebies fans – Bing, Twirlywoos and Tweenies are particular favourites here and I love Mister Maker for giving me inspiration for doing craft activities with the children. In the Night Garden is definitely good for indicating that it’s bedtime – we tend to record a few episodes so I can always put it on a little earlier if needed too! 🙂
    Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) recently posted…Silent SundayMy Profile

03/05/2015 at 19:04

Oo yes I forgot about Tweenies!! In the Night Garden is a godsend! Thanks for commenting! xx

• You Baby Me Mummy
    04/05/2015 at 19:46

This is brilliant, I put ITNG on when I need to be calm! ha ha, great post, Thanks so much for linking up to #TheList x
    You Baby Me Mummy recently posted…My Roman AdventureMy Profile

05/05/2015 at 08:53

Hehe thanks hun. It’s a lifesaver! xx

• Sian
    06/05/2015 at 07:59

Gosh my life would be so much harder without CBeebies! My nearly 1 year old is a huge ITNG fan and my 3 year old’s current favourites are Boj and Bing.
    #TheList
    Sian recently posted…Our Sunflower and Tomato SeedsMy Profile

07/05/2015 at 19:23

Big fans of Bing and Boj in this house too! Sam knows all the words to the Boj theme tune! xx

• Welsh Mum Writing
    01/02/2018 at 20:10

In the Night Garden means bedtime in our house too. It’s also our go to show for long journeys as it relaxes Small Boy no end. The Adventures is Abney and Teal is great if I want 5 minutes to go and put a wash on, although he gets a bit overexcited and I need to look for Pock pocks with him then, or point to them, I’m never sure which