Before having Little Man when I went out for a meal with G or with friends it was a very relaxed affair; I would spend an hour or two choosing an outfit for a start. I would even manage a pair of heels. My face would be made up and we would sink 3 courses of food, a couple of glasses of wine and talk! Blissful.
Then I had a baby. Sorry, I shall re-word that. Then I had a toddler. One that could move around a restaurant, shout very loudly and generally not be the most well behaved dinner guest.
Now going for a meal out goes something like this.
- Fill up my biggest handbag with nappies, wipes, tablet (or Tumble Tap as it now called), books, crayons, beaker and back up food.
- To avoid busy restaurants we book a table for 5pm dinner.
- No time to change, put my make up or heels before heading out the door.
- We sit down to eat after explaining to Little Man how he must be a good boy and wait for his food.
- I throw a load of distraction toys at Little Man whilst we quickly pick our food.
- We have just one course and eat it swiftly
- We ask for the bill while Little Man is still eating so as soon as he finishes we can leave before he gets bored, kicks off and there are crayons, books, bits of pasta and my sanity scattered across the restaurant floor.
Does anyone have any methods they swear by when out eating with a toddler?
Have a lovely day.