Finding a naughty corner in a park

‘If you don’t hold Daddy’s hand you will be put in the corner Little Man’ we told our 2 and a half year old on a trip to the park. We are not strict parents, we like to take Little Man places where he has the opportunity to run free a bit. Not in a dramatic running happily through a field, picking daisies way but in my somewhat limited experience toddlers need to burn off their energy. They need to run and run and run otherwise at 9pm at night they will still be singing ‘Old MacDonald had a farm….and on that farm he had a plane’ at the top of their voice.

I digress.

The aforementioned park we were in had a rather large duck pond and I didn’t fancy fishing my son out of there so the rules were to hold our hands. Little Man continued to pull away so he went in the corner. Have you ever tried finding a corner in your local park? Harder than it sounds. So instead of a corner, Little Man was put down facing a rather large bush and told to stay there. He cried a bit, he moaned a bit but then after explaining why he had been put in the corner he gave his sorry cuddles and held Daddy’s hand the rest of the way – Thank you Super Nanny.

I am not sorry we did this. I am not embarrassed of this but other people around us were obviously uncomfortable with this. Why on this lovely sunny day had we put our poor toddler facing a bush and left him to cry it out?! Because he needs to learn right from wrong, safety and that he must listen to his parents.

I noticed a few people looking at us, giving us a bit of a stare, a bit of a disapproving look while their oh so perfect child trotted alongside them hand in hand (I bet when said child saw the duck pond they wanted to jump right in too or is that really just my child who wants to join the ducks for a bread based feast?!) My boy is a well behaved little lad most of the time but he is also a toddler and desperately trying to find out where the boundaries are. Well my boundaries stop at swimming with ducks. The corner has always worked for us. It gives him time to calm down and realise that he was making a mountain out of a mole hill, like the day he cried because his sandwich had been cut into four and he would not eat it unless it was stuck back together.

I wrote a post a few months ago about how it made me feel when people stared at me when my toddler had a tantrum. I had so many supportive comments and tweets that it helped me to not care any more. I am glad I don’t care and I am glad that I now have the confidence as a parent to find a corner (or the nearest bush) if Little Man needs it. Sod what people think, it really doesn’t matter. What matters is teaching our kids what is right and wrong.

Do you use the naughty corner?

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

Best of Worst

1. June 24, 2015 / 12:40 pm

It is good that you found what works for your family.

2. June 24, 2015 / 4:33 pm

I still use the naughty step and my girls are 7 &12. Sometimes they need a time out and it works. Hooray for Supernanny introducing us to it x
    Kim Carberry recently posted…What a face! #wickedwednesdaysMy Profile

3. June 24, 2015 / 10:27 pm

I’m a huge fan of Supernanny, she has fantastic tips. We also used the naughty steps but not that much lately as she is 5 years old. What it works now is if she is behaving bad we take something away from her and lately the item is her ipad. As soon as you mention no more ipad she behaves like an angel . LOL
    #TwinklyTuesday
    A Moment with Franca recently posted…Baby Clothes – George HaulMy Profile

4. June 26, 2015 / 10:56 pm

We have something similar with a time-out stool – effectively the same idea as the naughty step but by another name, plus you can have time out anywhere in a pinch. I agree, there have to be boundaries and duck swimming is one of them!
    Cathy ( MummyTravels ) recently posted…10 ways you know you’re travelling with kidsMy Profile

5. June 27, 2015 / 9:00 pm

We don’t use the corner yet as think my girl is a little young but I think we will do when she is older. Good for you! I think you did the right thing. Little Sam needs to learn and a park, a house wherever, who cares? Thanks so much for linking up to #bestandworst and please pop back xx
    Sarah Howe (@RunJumpScrap) recently posted…My Week at a Glance – I am Back!My Profile

6. June 28, 2015 / 8:19 am

We use the naughty corner for Alfie, it works for us most of the time and we have had naughty corner in the supermarket, at restaurants and in car parks. I find it awkward but at that point I don’t care that much as if he’s being naughty I’d rather we stuck to disciplining him as we would at home. I completely feel where you’re coming from though! Thanks for linking up to the #bestandworst and hope to see you again next week 🙂
    Helen Gandy recently posted…Silent Sunday/My Sunday Photo – 28/06/15My Profile

7. June 28, 2015 / 8:13 pm

We are only really just getting to this stage. Zach is listening less and misbehaving more…I’ve had to sit him on the sofa for time out before but I think it may be time to find another means, i.e. step or corner so that he doesn’t associate the sofa with being naughty. It’s so hard when you are out isn’t it? Zach is a nightmare when it comes to holding hands, he just doesn’t yet grasp the safety aspect of things. Thanks so much for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday
    Lisa (mummascribbles) recently posted…My first BritMums LiveMy Profile

• July 3, 2015 / 9:52 am

Yes, it is more difficult when you’re out but most of the time I find I only have to ask him once if he wants to go in the corner and he stops being naughty. He is in the corner less now which is good. xx