There aren’t many things when it comes to parenting that I would say have been 100% successful at from the get go but the bedtime routine is one of them. I started a bedtime routine with Little Man pretty early on, then it just consisted of bath, bottle and bed, obviously night feeds were involved then too. For anyone that is struggling with a bedtime routine with their toddler, I thought I would share ours.
The timings change depending what’s happening the next day; nursery, etc. So here we go.
- Bedtime Hour – I make full use of the bedtime hour on Cbeebies, Little Man knows that it is nearing bedtime when it’s on.
- Milk – Little Man used to have a bottle right before he went to bed up until a few months ago but I have swapped it now to a cup of milk downstairs. It’s a nice time for him to chill out before bed.
- Shower – A few months ago, Little Man really struggled with baths. I am not sure what brought on that change but after having a caravan holiday where he could only have a shower we realised he liked them much more so we moved onto showers at night time. Little Man loves his shower, he plays with his bath toys and generally has a good splash about. I still use Johnsons Baby Bedtime on him as I love the smell!!
- Pyjamas – After Little Man’s shower, I dry him off, slap on the moisturiser and talc and put on his pyjamas.
- Story – I am a massive believer in reading to our kids as much as possible so a bedtime story is a great way to incorporate this. I usually let Little Man choose the story and he settles into bed while I read it.
- Good night – Its then kisses, cuddles, night light on and lights out.
Hope this can help anyone that is struggling to get their toddler to bed. This routine has worked brilliantly for us and we find it is easily transferable when we are on holiday or away for a night.
Has anyone got any bedtime tips to share?
Have a lovely day.