On August 20th I turn 30. I can’t wait to be honest, I’m really looking forward to heading into my 30s. I started my 20s at University in Aberwystyth, got a job and moved to Winchester after graduating and lived there for a bit. Then I moved back to good old Brum and in with a stinky boy, got married, bought a house, had a baby and now we are here. 2015 and preparing for my 30s. So much happened in my 20s, so many changes and a lot of growing up and changing. There are so many life lessons to be learnt in your 20s and I thought I would share a few of the lessons I have learnt in my 20s.
- Don’t worry too much about what people think – this is easier said than done but really when you think about it, no one else is living your life so as long as the choices that you make are right for you who cares?!
- Dress for your shape – I am a curvy girl; I always have had big hips and a big bum. You only have to look at the ladies in my family to see it is in my genes. In my early 20s I tried to keep up with the fashions even if they didn’t suit me. Not a good idea. It is much better to dress in things that suit the shape you are, when I started doing this it made me a lot more confident about how I looked.
- Mistakes are worth making – Believe me, I know this for a fact. I have made my fair share of mistakes over the last 10 years. Would I change them? Never. Your mistakes make you who you are and sometimes you have to fall on your face to realise it wasn’t a good idea to wear those high heels!
- Appreciate the little things – They are the most important things usually.
- Relationships take work – I’m not just talking about with your other half but also with friends. You have to put the effort in. Things aren’t always easy but it doesn’t mean they are worth giving up on.
- Good friends are rare – Appreciate the ones you have. They are very special.
- There is no fairytale – I know, I know I’m a cynic. I love the idea of the Disney Princess life as much as the next girl but things happen, things change and things are sometimes tough. Make your own type of fairytale.
- I am too lazy to have blonde hair – I loved my blonde days but I was too lazy to keep getting my roots done and I actually prefer my natural colour now anyway.
- Drama is overrated – Oh I loved the drama of life in my early 20’s, every argument was like the world was ending. Not now, uneventful is what I aim for now.
- Change is good – I don’t like change, never have but actually now I can see it is good. Change is healthy and new things are fun.
- Nights out aren’t worth the hangover – my uni days were spent in hangover city but not now there is a child in my house who will wake up at 5am whether I have had a bottle of wine or not. It’s just not worth it any more.
So there we go. A few life lessons I have learnt whilst I was in my 20s. I am looking forward to what my 30s are going to teach me. Have you learnt anything in your 20s?