My Fussy-Not-Fussy Eater

Weaning Little Man was easy, he loved his food. In fact, weaning was one of the things I worried about. I’m not a very good cook so I was concerned that I would find it difficult to introduce new foods and flavours to him confidently. However, it was all fine. Little Man up until about 6 months ago was a star eater. People would comment on how well he would eat, how good he was sat at a table and how they wished their child would eat like mine. I smugly nodded and smiled and thanked my lucky stars he wasn’t a fussy eater.

And then it hit.

The fussiness started. ‘I don’t like that Mummy’ became a common phrase in our house literally overnight. He would push plates of food away, turn his head away in disgust and even if he was starving would stubbornly not touch a thing on his plate. He liked breakfast cereal, pasta but without any sauce, toast but with nothing on it and vegetables…well if they weren’t peas we could just forget it. My star eater became a fussy eater. Or so I thought.

Breakfast is always a hit!

Breakfast is always a hit!

It came to my attention after having a chat with one of the ladies that works at Little Man’s nursery that Little Man was not a fussy eater there. He ate every vegetable going and every type of meal including exact same meals as the ones I had offered him.

Little Man wasn’t a fussy eater, he was a stubborn eater. He enjoyed the attention that came with not eating at home; my pleading looks and my fails where I gave in and let him have 2 yoghurt’s instead. Now I had this information though, things were different. I felt more relaxed knowing that for at least 3 days of the week he was getting a well balanced diet and from then on we entered into battle. I put his plate of food in front of him and if he didn’t like it, it went in the bin. I didn’t comment about it and he definitely didn’t get pudding. Slowly but surely Little Man has started to get bored, there is no game to be played now and sometimes he is too hungry to care. He still isn’t the eater at home that he was but things are definitely improving and I have learnt my lesson.

Now when people ask me if he is a fussy eater, I tell them that he is not as yesterday at nursery he had Mexican chicken and ate the lot. No, he is just a stubborn (gets it from his Mum) eater.

Do you have a child who eats like this? We are still on a long road so would love to hear any tips.

Have a lovely day.

Best of Worst

1. July 1, 2015 / 12:31 pm

Yes! This is exactly the same as my girl. At school she will eat everything and anything. At home she is so fussy. I know she likes the food she just won’t eat it so it gets put in front of her and she picks….If she doesn’t want it, it goes in the bin.
    Kim Carberry recently posted…Just taking a break…. #wickedwednesdayMy Profile

2. July 1, 2015 / 5:21 pm

Oh!! I wrote a post called “One Little Trick To Get Kids To Eat Veggies” where I explain my “methods”!! It has worked perfectly so far with most veggies.
    But only recently I decided that it was about time my youngest started eating tomatoes. He “stubbornly” has been putting them out of his plate whenever I served them. So I decided to use the “one bite” rule. The thinking behind this is to get children used to the new flavor progressively and eventually get them to eat the new food.
    I’ll let you know how it went if I ever get to the “I like tomatoes” stage! Thanks for sharing!
    Alina
    Alina @eclecticalu blogspot recently posted…Malbec NailsMy Profile

3. July 3, 2015 / 7:29 pm

Most definitely, both of mine try it on and at 9 and almost 11 you’d think they’d have realised by now that I’m not one to give in easily! I don’t force feed them meals they definitely hate, but they don’t get away with not tasting new things and at least making an effort with their meals, but oh for a meal time where everyone is happy with what we’re eating!
    I’m also not a great cook tho!

Stevie x
    A Cornish Mum recently posted…Pick ‘n’ Mix Fridays a brand new Blog linky! 3rd July 2015My Profile

4. July 3, 2015 / 10:19 pm

Seth used to eat well at nursery but not at home…. now he;s changed nursery i cant get anything except snacks into him…. its so frustrating!! desperately looking for tips… #bestandworst
    Jemma Chambers recently posted…My Captured Moment – SummertimeMy Profile

• July 5, 2015 / 2:27 pm

It’s so frustrating isn’t it?! It seems that only perseverance is key! xx

5. July 8, 2015 / 5:00 pm

Alfie has been a great eater in the past, I thought we had it cracked but we then also reached the fussy stage and recently while we were away he decided he didn’t like this, he didn’t like that…etc etc, he decided he didn’t like the French ham (go figure!)! I have no real tips other than don’t give in and it should get better….hopefully! Thanks for linking up to the #bestandworst 🙂
    Helen Gandy recently posted…Best and Worst Linky – #8My Profile

• July 10, 2015 / 9:12 am

It’s a tough one isn’t it?! Just when you think you have it all under control, another phase kicks in! xx