Bedtime Story of the Month – July – We’re Going on a Bear Hunt

Bedtime (1)

Welcome to my Bedtime Story of the Month series. When I am not being a Mummy or a Blogger I am a School Librarian for  load of teenagers. I see every day why it is so important to read to our little ones as early as possible. I can’t stress enough how much of a difference reading to and with your young children makes for them later in life. So with this in mind I thought I would begin to share some favourite books in our house Every month I will share a new story that we have been enjoying at bedtime.. Little Man has a bedtime story every night; it is one of my favourite parts of the day and really helps to settle him.

So lets get started for July. July’s story is one of my old favourites. I remember my Mum reading it to me and now both she and I read it to Little Man. It is We’re Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen and beautifully illustrated by Helen Oxenbury.

20150723_102057_resized

This is a lovely story all about a family going on a bear hunt! They go through snowstorms, wind, rain to name a few on their adventure. The story is repetitive which is great for toddlers; Little Man knows the bear hunt chant off by heart. It is great fun to tell as it used sounds that little ones can replicate. When they find the bear, the story takes us back the way they have come till they get home.

20150723_102148_resized

The illustrations are so endearing; Little Man loves to watch the children going through the forest and the snow and really gets involved. He can often be found chatting away to himself about a bear hunt that he is going on! When a story can stick in a 2 year olds mind like this, that to me is a kids book that has it just right. Sometimes, the old ones are the best!

Have you read We’re Going on a Bear Hunt with your little one? As always, I am constantly on the look out for new bedtime stories for Little Man and I to share together so if you have any recommendations please let me know.

Have a lovely day.

A Cornish Mum

1. July 24, 2015 / 1:36 pm

Oh I agree with you children’s stories are so important it makes me sad when I read people don’t read to their children. While my son loves this book, it is one of those I hate to read to him, I suspect because it is so repetitive. Oh well, I know repetition is good for learning and it’s not about me is it? 😉
    Laura’s Lovely Blog recently posted…Blog Love: Five Blogs I Have Loved This Month (July 15)My Profile

2. July 24, 2015 / 5:42 pm

Love this book too! I even went to see the stage production at the Exeter Northcott Theatre. I was a little sceptical about how they would portray it on stage but it was amazing definitely recommend it if you get the chance. Another of my daughters favourites (when they were 2) was The Tiger Who Came To Tea. A good 70’s classic.

• July 25, 2015 / 9:37 pm

Oh wow! I will have to look out for it, would love to see it on stage! xx

3. July 24, 2015 / 5:52 pm

I need to purchase this one. I often see it in the store and wonder if I should add it to our collection. Our little man loves us reading to him. He is obsessed with books. We read stories every night before bedtime, but if he’s ever being fussy about eating his dinner we read him books at the table and it keeps him entertained and happily munching through his food! Everyone is happy! #picknmix
    Jen @ 4,128 mies recently posted…WICKED WEDNESDAY – ISLAND BABYMy Profile

4. July 25, 2015 / 8:25 am

I totally agree about reading stories to young children…. they’re fun and create bonding moment too. Great post! Thanks for sharing #PicknMix

5. July 25, 2015 / 9:02 am

Ah what a lovely idea!Haven’t read this one so will look out for it.My kids love “Father Christmas needs a wee” by Nicholas Allan.Its really funny and they always go back to that one.Not that I’m childish and find it hilarious or anything x #picnmix
    Pickinguptoys recently posted…Word of the Week – OccupiedMy Profile

• July 25, 2015 / 9:38 pm

Oohh yes I keep seeing that one about, I shall pick it up this xmas xx

6. July 26, 2015 / 2:40 pm

I read a bedtime story to my eldest every night and my partner reads to my youngest every night.
    It is very important, I think! I have this book but never read it all as they always seem to like to change a story every night. x
    Beth recently posted…My Dream Kitchen Of The FutureMy Profile

• July 29, 2015 / 12:35 pm

Sam has a habit of doing that too but evil mummy makes him wait till the end 😉 xx

7. July 26, 2015 / 9:01 pm

We are a little obsessed by this book in our house! Monkey’s third birthday theme was Going on a Bear Hunt, I have set up a small play scene and we have a story sack!!! Bit mad really. I like the idea of a book a month will be back 🙂 #PicknMix
    Mudpie Fridays recently posted…Playing Postman – Preschool Role PlayMy Profile

• July 29, 2015 / 12:32 pm

Aw what a lovely theme for a party! Thank you, there will be more! xx

8. July 30, 2015 / 5:17 pm

This is one of my favourite books, it’s also great for drama with little ones. Finlay (4) regularly asks for this one. Thanks for linking to #PickNMix
    Mummyandmonkeys recently posted…Allergy friendly BLW meal ideasMy Profile