Gas Safety Week 2015 – Keeping Your Home & Family Safe


It’s starting to get chilly; my blankets are back out, the fleecy pjs are on and the ‘big coats’ are being dug out. . With the winter coming the heating is going to be switched on, the gas fire will go on. When was the last time your boiler or your gas appliances were checked? It’s one of those things that gets put at the bottom of the to do list but the reality of leaving it can be frightening.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a very real problem. Around 200 people every year are poorly from this and 40 people die from it in the UK every year. Is it really worth the risk? Our little people are one of the most vunerable groups when it comes to carbon monoxide poisoning.

This week is Gas Safety Week, a week dedicated to raising awareness about gas safety in your home, in particular the silent killer – carbon monoxide poisoning. It is named the silent killer as  you can’t see the gas or smell it so there are other things you need to keep an eye out for.

Here are a few things to look out for that mean you should ring a Gas Safety Engineer:

  • A pilot light that goes out a lot.
  • Sooty marks around boilers and stoves on the walls
  • Yellow or orange cooker flames
  • Dark stains around appliances.

If you think you have noticed any of these in your house then you could do with calling out a Gas Safety Engineer. Click here to find out more about finding a good one.

So what are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning? They can be very similar to flu symptoms but here are a few things to look out for.

  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Breathlessness
  • Collapse
  • Loss of Consicesness

It is hard to remember all of these things. We are often too busy to notice that little dark stain around the boiler for example. A great way to keep on top of this is to stick a carbon monoxide detector on your wall. They are really cheap and could quite easily save yours and your families lives. Got to be worth it.

20150911_191511_resized

20150911_191521_resized

CORGI HomePlan have a website dedicated to telling you everything you need to know about gas safety in your home. It’s worth a read, I certainly learnt a few tips to help me keep on top of gas safety in our house.

If you do suspect Carbon Monoxide poisoning in your house then turn off the appliances, get out of the house into the fresh air and seek medical help as soon as possible. The website mentioned above will point you in the right direction on who to contact to sort your appliances out.

So spread the word to your nearest and dearest. Bottom line is it really isn’t worth the risk.

This post was written in partnership with CORGI HomePlan

 

Mummascribbles

You may also like

6 Comments

  • Kim Carberry
    14/09/2015 at 11:22

    It is so important to have a carbon monoxide detector! I have just been watching about it on ITV’s This Morning! x
    Kim Carberry recently posted…Our Weekly Meal Plan!! – #mealplanningmondayMy Profile

    • Mummy in Training
      15/09/2015 at 09:18

      Definitely!!! xx

  • Aisling Ozdemir
    15/09/2015 at 16:00

    I must get one of these, thanks x #twinklytueday

    • Mummy in Training
      17/09/2015 at 19:12

      No problem xx

  • Caro | The Twinkles Mama
    16/09/2015 at 12:06

    This is SUCH an important message!! I became obsessed with carbon monoxide poisoning a few years ago after seeing a report on TV. We’ve even got a detector in our caravan!! As well as the house! 🙂 Thanks so much for linking up with us xx #TwinklyTuesday
    Caro | The Twinkles Mama recently posted…Home Etc #18 — Home and Garden Inspired Blog HopMy Profile

    • Mummy in Training
      17/09/2015 at 19:13

      Good call on the caravan hun! xx

LEAVE A COMMENT

CommentLuv badge

Hello!

I’m Rachel, a 30 something Mum to 6 year old Little Man & 2 year old twin girls (one with us & one in the sky).

I’m an anxiety sufferer, list writer and secret chocolate eater.

Join me going from anxious to organised.

Never miss a post!

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100
Brand Ballot