Post-natal Anxiety & Me – Anxiety Hacks

Post-natal anxiety or anxiety of any sort can take over our every day lives and stop us from doing even the most normal of things. I have explained many times on this blog all about my journey with anxiety since having Little Man so if you would like to read the background click here.

I have learnt a lot about anxiety in the last couple of years and *touch wood* I am through the worst, however it is with me everyday in one way or another. I have learnt some ways of helping myself not let anxiety ruin my day. So, if any of you are suffering, I thought I would share my hacks. Let’s kick anxiety in the face!

Post-natal Anxiety (1)

As always I am not a Doctor or expert I just want to share my experiences with you.

Breathing – Don’t underestimate breathing. When I feel my breathing getting quick or a bit out of control. I breath in for 5 seconds, hold it for 5 seconds and breath out. Doing this not only helps to control your breathing but it also gives you something to focus on rather than the thing that is making you anxious.

Distraction – This is something else not to underestimate. If I am sitting watching TV and I start to feel anxious about something, I get up and go and do something else. Keeping yourself busy and your mind busy is a really great way to forget about the anxiety for a little bit. Throw yourself into a conversation if you are in a social situation or sit down and read a book if you are at home.

Sleep – It really is very simple for me – the tireder I am, the more likely I am to get anxious. This week has been a prime example for me; I have had a lot on at work and at home and have had considerable less sleep because of it. If you can try to get as much sleep as your body needs, your brain will be able to deal with anxiety a lot better.

Talking – Believe me when I write this, I know this is easier typed than done. It took me a long time to talk to anyone about how I felt and I am still very picky with who I tell. Most of the time I feel more comfortable if people around me don’t know how I am feeling as I find distraction easier to use. However, sometimes texting G in the morning saying that I have woken up feeling a bit anxious really helps and is enough to kick start me into getting on with the day. Just sharing the load can sometimes help.

Acceptance – Something else which I know is really tough but my best method of fighting an anxiety attack is to just accept it is there. It has taken me a long time to be able to do this successfully. However, now if I feel anxious in a certain situation. I know what the physical symptoms mean, I know there is no danger to me. So in my head I just think ‘this is just anxiety’ and I let it be there. You would be surprised how quickly it can go away if you just face it. Don’t let it scare you. You are in control.

So there we go, my anxiety hacks. I hope they help anyone that is struggling a little bit. If you have any hacks, please share them in the comments below.

You Baby Me Mummy

thumbnailsize

Advice From The Heart

1. November 17, 2015 / 10:17 am

As someone who has also dealt with anxiety, I totally agree with every single one of these coping strategies! I am so glad you shared these, as I know they will be helpful for anyone in the midst of this struggle. Thank you so much for sharing. #twinklytuesday
    Elizabeth recently posted…Teacher Tuesday: the phrase I want to stop using in my classroomMy Profile

2. November 17, 2015 / 2:47 pm

These hacks are all things I use daily. The only one I would add to the list is diet. Cutting out caffiene, and avoid sugar rushes, or low blood sugar levels (i.e dont binge on cake and remember to eat a healthy breakfast) can also help reduce anxiety. #TwinklyTuesday xx
    Tracey Abrahams recently posted…A Bit Of Everything Linky – Week #6My Profile

3. November 17, 2015 / 7:19 pm

This is such a great list! Sleep and acceptance help me so, so much to manage anxiety. When I feel anxiety coming I tell myself not to run or fight and just invite it in instead. I find this diminishes the fear and power. Thanks for sharing #twinklytuesday

4. November 21, 2015 / 11:11 am

I haven’t had post natal anxiety, but have always had a tendency to anxiety and panic attacks, and I tend to use distraction the most. Very good advice. #thelist
    Silly Mummy recently posted…Only the Weak Are Cruel *My Profile

5. November 23, 2015 / 4:02 pm

Thanks for sharing – as a new mum I seem to be constantly feeling anxious about something (am I doing this right, is that ok etc etc) I’m finding reading and writing blogs a great help (distraction!) Plus getting outside for a walk in the fresh air and daylight is a wonderful tonic (seems to have been dark and drizzly ever since my daughter was born – craving those bright autumn days again). Good to know I’m not alone.
    AmyLovestoSew recently posted…Maternity MakesMy Profile

• November 24, 2015 / 9:48 am

Ah yes, I had a winter baby too. I think that contributed to the beginning of my anxiety as I couldn’t get us outside as much as I would have liked. Sending hugs xx

6. November 23, 2015 / 8:58 pm

I suffer with crippling anxiety, worse since the birth of my last child. I am almost at the end of another round of CBT and have found it really helpful this time in dealing with my anxiety. I have gone from having several panic attacks a day to having less than one each week, something which a few weeks ago felt impossible!! I use a lot of the techniques you mention, for me focusing on my breathing is probably the most effective. Thank you for sharing!! #justanotherlinky
    laura dove recently posted…The end of an eraMy Profile

7. November 24, 2015 / 1:16 pm

Well done on opening up and sharing – Writing about such things can give you perspective I find and I hope this helped you. Heres to a good day today #fromtheheart
    Lisa Savage recently posted…Make You Feel My LoveMy Profile

8. November 30, 2015 / 5:41 pm

I was JUST on another blog reading a post about how anxious all new mums generally feel. I love your tips because I think they apply whether you suffer from anxiety attacks or are just generally nervous. I found my hypnobirthing tapes were quite useless at removing the pain of birth but great preparation for remaining calm once the baby had arrived! Thanks for sharing #fromtheheart
    Julie recently posted…Advice from the heart #12My Profile

• December 1, 2015 / 5:10 pm

Lovely comment, thank you. Definitely would work for anyone feeling a bit overwhelmed! xx