A Part-time Working Mum – Do I Really Have the Best of Both Worlds?

I hear the statement ‘you have the best of both worlds’ a lot when talking to others about my work and home life set up. I spend lovely quality time with my boy on Mondays & Tuesdays and then for the rest of the week I work and Little Man goes to nursery.

This, it seems is the perfect balance.

A Part-time Working Mum

Before I continue, let me stress I am not moaning. I am lucky to be able to be at home with Little Man for part of the week and lucky that I do only have to work part-time. I know I am also lucky to have a job.

On one hand I couldn’t agree more with the above statement. I love the quality time I have with my boy at the beginning of the week and think both of us benefit from our set up for the rest of the week. However, I’m not sure I do have the best bits of both.

I always seem to be playing catch up.

I never feel like I am giving my best to either.

Sometimes, Little Man gets the rushed Mummy. I’m trying to fit the cleaning and the tidying into my two days at home whilst also trying to be the perfect Pinterest Mum I long to be. With the lack of naps now I find myself setting him up to play something on his own so I can get some jobs done. Then I get to work and feel like I’m playing catch up there too. Once I am back in the swing of work Rachel, it is Friday and it’s time to flip back into Mummy mode.

20160116_085420-1

I want to be able to give Little Man my full focus when I am with him. I want to be able to be the career girl I used to be when I am at work without wondering if I packed everything in the nursery bag or constantly checking my phone to make sure I haven’t missed a call from nursery. This along with trying to keep a relatively organised house and life and keeping my blog going sometimes makes me feel like I’m juggling a lot of balls…not very successfully.

It seems to me there really is no perfect balance. We just muddle through the best we can. One things for sure, I try my best with both things and hopefully that is enough.

Do you work part time?

Run Jump Scrap!

thumbnailsize

1. January 20, 2016 / 10:22 am

I totally understand this!! I work from home, and whilst like you, I know how very lucky I am to be able to do this. But I often feel like I’m not giving my all. I spend a lot of time on my phone whilst with Taylor. And I’m far too tired to give my all to my job at the end of the day. And I struggle to get any ME time, as as soon as little man is in bed, I’m working. BUT I do know how lucky I am to be in this situation but it’s definitely a juggling game!! 🙂 #bestworst

2. January 20, 2016 / 10:48 am

I do work part time but I’m not leaving anything undone so its a bit different. I think no matter what your situation there’s are mega lows and stresses. Hope you find you balance x
    #bestandworst

3. January 20, 2016 / 5:00 pm

You will be doing your best and that’s all that matters! I feel the same sometimes and I know I am not as focused at work as I used to be. I do think we do get a little of the best of both worlds though. Keep at it hun; you’ll be doing great. Thanks for sharing with #bestandworst xx
    Sarah Howe (@RunJumpScrap) recently posted…Best and Worst Week #34My Profile

4. January 20, 2016 / 9:53 pm

I’m not in this position, but have often heard it referred to as the ‘best of both worlds’ &, to be honest, I have always wondered if that is really the case. As it does seem to me that there must also therefore be the potential for it to be the worst of both worlds, as it presumably depends which bits of both worlds you’re getting! #bestandworst

5. January 24, 2016 / 9:24 am

I was once that part time working mum and can totally relate to this. I tried the best I could but never felt like I was giving my all to either of my roles. It’s so tough. I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer, you can only do what feels right for you and your family x

6. January 25, 2016 / 3:52 pm

Hey, I a older but, I had my day for sure to a hyperactive little creature. They do grow out of it sometimes. Parenting is very special, and requires a lot of patience, love and understanding.

7. January 25, 2016 / 5:42 pm

I used to work part time but when I had my second I had to quit due to childcare costs being to expensive
    Thank you so much for linking up to #justanotherlinky
    life as mum recently posted…Gro-Clock ReviewMy Profile

8. January 29, 2016 / 8:21 pm

I know exactly how you feel as I was like this when I went back to work after Finley. My life was rushed and I don’t believe it’s the best of both worlds – but you are amazing for doing both! Thanks for linking up to #justanotherlinky xx
    Something Crunchy Mummy recently posted…My Running JourneyMy Profile

9. February 5, 2016 / 5:09 pm

I’m going back to work part-time next week and it already doesn’t feel like the best of both worlds as I know I’m always going to miss something, whether it’s him laughing hysterically at something new, crawling for the first time, upset over a new tooth cutting through… It’s going to be hard to get used to not being there for everything – even the hard stuff.